Our Education, Experience
& Assessment Tools
About Steve Oppermann
3015 S. Linley Court
Denver, CO 80236
Phone: 303 922-7409
Fax: 303 922-5290
Steve Oppermann completed his Federal career on March 31, 1997, after more than 26 years of service, virtually all in human resources management. Steve rose from a basic personnel management trainee at Fort Riley, Kansas, to Regional Director of Personnel for General Services Administration (GSA) in Denver in less than 10 years.
In the latter position, he managed, through four subordinate supervisors, the functions of position classification, position management and pay administration; external recruitment and internal placement, including administration of the agency's Merit Promotion Plan; labor relations, including contract negotiations and day-to-day contract administration with three different labor organizations with exclusive recognition; employee relations, including performance management, conduct and discipline, and benefits administration; employee development and training; affirmative action, including special emphasis programs; and personnel action processing. After moving from GSA to the National Park Service (NPS) in 1985, Steve served as Chief of Personnel Operations for nearly nine years.
In addition to logging over 25 years as a first-, second-, and third-line supervisor and program manager, Steve gained experience in every human resources function, as well as in equal employment opportunity (EEO). He also represented agency management in a wide variety of third-party settings, and worked effectively with top agency management and with supervisors and non-supervisory employees at all levels of the organization.
In 1993, Steve won a Congressional Fellowship sponsored by the American Political Science Association, spending from November of 1993 through October of 1994 working as a Legislative Assistant in the Washington, D.C., office of U.S. Senator Daniel Akaka of Hawaii. He spent the last 2 ½ years of his Federal career serving as a senior consultant to the NPS on the most complex third-party cases in employee relations and EEO. For the last four years, Steve has served as president of the board of Volunteers in Prevention (VIP), a registered Colorado non-profit organization that mentors at-risk youth.
Steve can work with your agency to tailor a course to meet your specific needs.
Courses and Services Offered
|Below is a sampling of the courses Steve has
taught since retiring from the Federal government:
- Critical Human Resources Skills for Supervisors
- Basic and Advanced Supervision
- Employee Relations (for supervisors and practitioners)
- Labor-Management Relations (for supervisors and practitioners)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Interest-Based Bargaining
- Reduction-In-Force for Supervisors
- Position Classification and Position Management
- Preventing & Addressing Sexual Harassment
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Cross Cultural Communication
- EEO for Managers and Supervisors
- Basic and Advanced EEO Counseling
- Organizational Analysis, Design and Development
- Managing Stress
Below is a sampling of the human resources consulting services that Steve
- Organizational analysis and recommendations
- Mediation (e.g., in labor-management or employee-supervisor disputes)
- Facilitation (i.e., of large and small group discussions)
- Position classification and position management
- Advice and assistance to management in dealing with problem employees
- EEO complaint investigations
Rushford & Associates
303-989-3796 (voice) ~ 303-985-4996 (fax)
615 South Xenon Court ~ Lakewood, CO 80228
Copyright ©1999 - 2013 Rushford & Associates