Background: The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) requires that agencies provide certified EEO Counselors to assist employees and applicants who wish to access the informal EEO complaints process. EEO Counselors must have a good understanding of the basic EEO laws covering the rights and responsibilities of federal employees. Counselors play a vital role in assisting agencies in resolving potential complaints at the lowest level possible. This four day class will assure that EEO Counselors:
- Will understand the fundamentals of the Federal EEO Complaints process
- Can perform intake and initial counseling to employees and applicants
- Are able to conduct interviews with management officials or other involved parties
- Understand the use of the “limited inquiry” in resolution efforts
- Can prepare a final Counseling report that addresses jurisdictional and timeliness issues
The four day agenda covers these topics:
- Review of Federal EEO Laws, Executive Orders, Regulations and Agency Procedures
- EEO, Affirmative Employment and Diversity
- An Overview Of EEO Counseling
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and Federal agencies
- Roles and Responsibilities of the Counselor
- Preparing for Contact with an Aggrieved Person (AP)
- The Initial Interview
- Avoiding Listening Traps
- Rights and Responsibilities of APs
- Completing the Initial Interview
- Theories of Employment Discrimination
- Conducting the Limited Inquiry
- Meeting with Agency Officials
- Obtaining Written Records and Documents
- Challenges in Harassment Inquiries
- Resolution Strategies
- Resolution – Remedies and Settlement
- The Counselor’s Report
- The Final Interview
- Counseling on Sexual Orientation Issues
- Counseling Class Action Complainants
- Final Quiz and Certification
Who Should Attend: Newly assigned EEO Counselors, EEO Counselors who have not taken a counseling course in the last three years, EEO Specialists needing complaint processing skills, HR and Labor Relations Specialists with EEO support functions, and Bargaining Unit Representatives in EEO matters.
About the Instructor: John Jones completed a 30 year career in Federal service, retiring as the Director of Equal Opportunity for the Bureau of Reclamation. His experience includes Regional Personnel Officer with GSA and EPA. John has a unique ability to evaluate personnel regulations in context with equal opportunity issues. John was a recipient of Interior's Meritorious Service Award for his leadership and contributions in equal employment opportunity and affirmative employment. John's experience as a senior manager in both equal opportunity and human resources provides him with a unique perspective on how these disciplines interface.
Nomination procedures: You may register for this class in one of 3 ways:
1. Call our office at 303-989-3796 and provide credit card information - no forms necessary.
2. Complete the registration form available on our website at www.rushfordtraining.com and email to email@example.com or fax to 303-985-4996
3. Complete an agency SF-182, DD-1556 or other ageny training form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 303-985-4996
NOTE: If emailing, do not include credit card info - please call the office to provide the number
Confirmation emails will be sent to the participant. Credit cards are usually charged following the class unless requested to be charged earlier. Invoicing will be done in accordance to payment type indicated on the form below or the agency training form.
Tuition: $1,195 per person
Call for list of hotels close to training site
Nominations cancelled 30 days prior to class date, no charge.
Cancellations from 30 to 15 days prior to class, 50% fee charged.
Cancellations 14 days or less, full fee charged.
Registration deadline: Two weeks prior to the start of class
Substitutions accepted until the first day of class
Space is limited; Please register early Your training expenses including tuition, travel, meals and lodging are tax deductible according to Treasury Reg. 1.162-5 Coughlin vs. Commissioner, 203F 2d307.
For more information contact Rushford & Associates on 303-989-3796 or email us at email@example.com